Doctors say Pele’s health is improving

Doctors say Pele's health is improving
Pele

The 82-year-old’s health updates were released in a statement released Tuesday by Albert Einstein Hospital in São Paulo.

Brazilian soccer legend Pele is currently enjoying ‘gradual improvement’ following reports of a worsening battle with cancer.

The hospital said Pele was being treated for a respiratory infection and was responding to treatment.

“Edson Arantes do Nascimento was admitted to Israelita Albert Einstein Hospital on the 29th for a reevaluation of chemotherapy treatment for colon tumour, identified in September 2021,” the statement read.

“The patient continued to progress with a gradual improvement in his general condition, particularly in respiratory tract infections.

“He remains in the general ward, with stable vital signs, alert and no further complications.”

On Saturday, Folha de S Paulo, a Brazilian newspaper, reported that Pele had been transferred to the palliative care unit at the hospital after he stopped responding to chemotherapy treatment for colon cancer.

According to the newspaper, chemotherapy was suspended and only palliative care was given to him for pain and shortness of breath.

However, a day later, the three-time World Cup winner took to his Instagram page, where he said he was “strong” and was being treated “as usual”.

The world of football sends its best wishes to Pelé since announcing his recent health problems.

The Brazilian team poses with a banner of young Pele after their victory over South Korea at the ongoing World Cup in Qatar.

Pelé was diagnosed with colon cancer in September 2021 and was hospitalized for two weeks in December of that year.

Widely regarded as the greatest footballer of all time, Pelé rose to international fame at the age of 17 and led Brazil to three World Cups.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *